Posted tagged ‘zelda’

Darknut – Legend of Zelda

February 24, 2015

With the release of the Jakks Pacific Link, I have been on a huge Legend of Zelda kick.  After seeing the Terra figure Razhan Mol: The Unholy at Target, I picked up this “statue” because it looked too much like a Darknut from the LoZ series.

The shield was made from the bottom of tin can w/ styrene and elastic.

This figure had no articulation, so on a whim, I cut off his right arm, and then his left (I had already pulled the shield off his back with much effort).  Luckily I found that the figure was not a solid cast but glued together.  After some boiling in water, I was able to remove the legs at the waist and the head at the neck.

To add articulation to the shoulders, I used knee joints from the Epic Tunnel Clash Hulk.  After much grinding and sculpting, the shoulders were finished.  The pegs for the shoulders I made from styrene rods.  After realizing that he would never be able to hold the shield correctly without elbow articulation, I took the joints from the ankles of the above Hulk figure.

The head and waist were articulated using a 1×1 technic brick (#6541) and a friction connector peg (#2780).  Styrene was inserted into the pegs to widened them to “lock” the pieces together.

The sword and part of the hilt were originally removable, but the bottom of the hilt was in the figure’s hand.  Using a small drill bit and a dremel, I cut out the hilt and glued it back together, along with some sculpting to keep the texture of the hilt.

The shield was made from the bottom of a soup can (yep) after realizing that the shield that came with the figure really was not right for a Darknut.  The elastic straps fit nicely into a piece of styrene that was cut and glued inside of the shield.

The cape is fabric.  After several design attempts, I drew on the final pattern and outlined it in Mod Podge.  When it was dry, I trimmed along the line to prevent fraying.

Both stickers, on the belt buckle and shield, are clear labels.  I printed them in black (the centipedes were left “clear” and the circle was black).  After applying the shield sticker, I painted over the black with charcoal gray paint.

Since there are so many Darknut’s in the Zelda Universe, I used the paint scheme from The Wind Waker Darknut, and the shield was influenced by The Minish Cap.  To see more about Darknuts, go the the zeldawiki.org page on Darknut.

Please view the images below, which include action shots, comparison and construction pictures, pre-paint pictures, and photos of the original figure.